UnderHarward, who had a passion for Sports, the School entered on a steady growth. It is significant to recall that the long concrete steps leading from the Hill to the playing fields below were constructed by him. The standard of sports was considerably raised, due principally to the efficient coaching of the Chaplain. When Harward left in 1953, C. A. Coleman Porter, the Assistant Headmaster was asked to act. Coleman Porter built by his own specifications, and under his own supervision, the retaining wall on the eastern slope of the hill on which the Chapel stands.
Arthur Dee, M.A. (Sydney), a Housemaster of Marlborough School, England, arrived in 1954 to take over as Headmaster. He entered on his role with great zest. Arthur Dee was a brilliant classical teacher who by his untiring zeal won the admiration of all. In the middle of 1955, he was compelled to return home in order to have a medical check-up. But he passed away, after undergoing an operation. Thus, once more, an interregnum was created over which Albert Hammond, B.A., Dip. Ed. (Lond), then Assistant Headmaster, was selected by the Board of Governors to preside.
In 1956, L. W. Fry, M.A. (Oxon), an assistant master at Achimota School was appointed to the headmastership. In his time the boys changed from khaki into blue uniform. Fry will be remembered as a good science teacher and a man with a powerful, sonorous voice which rose above all in the Chapel. With Fry's departure in 1959, the Board of Governors again turned their search to Achimota and selected T. J.Drury, M.A. (Cantab), to fill the vacancy.
It was certainly a wise choice, for the fortunes of Adisadel were entrusted into the hands of an able, wise and forward-looking administrator. Drury possessed excellent qualities -of sensibility, abounding energy, and will-power-which he soon manifested in the discharge of his duties. A new lease of life came to Adisadel during his years as Headmaster.
Drury gave the School a new look through an extensive building programme. He put up the dormitory blocks and other buildings that are to be seen at the base of the Hill, on the Cape Coast-Jukwa Road. The boys, with their characteristic sense of humour and timing, called the new development, 'Katanga', so named, because the buildings stood separated from those on the Hill, and were erected at the time of the Congo crisis when Katanga was then seeking separation from the rest of the Congo.
In 1960, the School celebrated its fiftieth anniversary. It was Drury's aim to ensure that the Golden Jubilee should be marked by some tangible form that would add to facilities which must, of necessity, be provided for an expanding School. Recalling the old spirit of the 1930s, Drury infused into the boys the idea of erecting, by their own labour.a much needed sports pavilion. He also built a gymnasium which was later named after him.
As a classicist, Drury was naturally conscious of the character of Adisadel as a place for classical education. He nevertheless also became deeply conscious of the necessity to expand the curriculum in order to meet contemporary needs. Thus it was that it fell to him to abolish Greek in order to emphasise the place of the Sciences. He was instrumental in establishing a Cadet Corps which became exceedingly popular with the boys. Under him the School became entirely a boarding establishment.
Drury's significant contribution was perhaps in the quality of those he recruited on his teaching staff. They turned out to be persons with a high sense of vocation, and gave their 'Chief' a most loyal and efficient help. This was to be expected, for Drury never spared himself and expected the same application to duty from his staff.
His own example of service inspired his staff, and they rallied round him and trusted him absolutely. Such fruitful cooperation between Headmaster and staff achieved much in Drury's time, and must be reckoned as a tribute to his leadership, when it became known that he had decided to resign after nearly five years as Headmaster, there was a general feeling of regret. It was indeed a great wrench that he should be compelled for personal reasons to leave a place of which he had become its contemporary chief architect and to which he was by all accounts so devotedly attached.
When Drury left in 1963, he was succeeded by Robert Thompson Orleans-Pobee, B.A. (Lond), M.Ed. (Springfield). He came back to his Alma Mater in 1953 as a physical education specialist from Jordan Hill, Glasgow, Scotland, followed by classical education at Legon.